A Healthy Recipe from Our Partners at Presence Health
We’ve given this comforting Southern classic a healthy makeover by adding in whole wheat flour and a hearty dose of veggies and cutting out extra fat. Our version has all the satisfying taste of the original, Chicken and Vegetables with Dumplings.
Chicken and Vegetables with Herbed Dumplings
Yield: 4 portions
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh herbs like parsley, chives and dill
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¾ cup low-fat buttermilk
Chicken and Vegetable Stew:
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound thinly sliced skinless, boneless chicken breast cutlets
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup peeled, sliced carrots
- 1 cup peeled, finely chopped parsnips
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 (6-ounce) container mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- In a medium bowl, make dumplings: Add both flours, salt, baking powder, and herbs. Add beaten egg and buttermilk, stirring until combined with dry ingredients. Reserve.
- In 7- or 8-quart Dutch oven, add chicken broth and water. Bring to boil over high heat. Add chicken cutlets, letting them poach in boiling the liquid until cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes. Use tongs to transfer chicken from broth to small bowl. When cool enough to handle, cut the chicken into small pieces.
- Cook vegetables for 5 minutes. Then use a teaspoon to drop spoonfuls of dumpling dough into simmering liquid, aiming for 12 dumplings.
- Reduce heat to medium-low so liquid is at a light simmer and cover with lid. Cook undisturbed until dumplings are light and puffy, about 10 minutes. Add in reserved chicken pieces and serve.
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 460, Carbs: 60g, Protein: 40g Fat: 7g, Sat. fat: 2g, Sodium: 408mg, Fiber: 8g