GREATER JOLIET AREA YMCA
MISSION STRONG FUND
For more than 90 years, the Greater Joliet Area YMCA has worked hand-in-hand with our neighbors to bring about meaningful change in our community. Even during times of crisis, the Y has found ways to support children, families and seniors living in the communities we serve. But, we cannot do it alone.
As we continue to navigate through these challenging times, one thing has remained constant, and that is the Y’s commitment to strengthening communities. By reimagining the ways in which we deliver services to the community, the Y has continued to provide opportunities for individuals of all ages to stay engaged and connected during this public health crisis.
HOW THE Y IMPACTED YOUR COMMUNITY
During our facility closure, the YMCA offered free virtual fitness classes daily to ensure area residents could continue to embrace healthy lifestyles while our facilities were closed. These virtual fitness opportunities have continued through our reopening.
The Y partnered with the Northern Illinois Food Bank to host mobile food pantries to ensure local residents had access to much-needed nourishment.
Mental Health Support
To support those searching for ways to cope with anxiety and stress during the COVID-19 pandemic, the Y partnered with a local clinical professional counselor to host weekly discussions via Zoom as part of its Feelings Matter Conversation Series.
To support busy parents and to keep children engaged when they weren't able to participate in remote learning activities, the YMCA launched a Keeping Kids Connected initiative, which provided enrichment activities for kids of all ages using everyday materials families could find around their home.
In keeping with our Christian mission and to support our community during these very uncertain times, the Y is hosted daily prayer calls. Led by a Y staff member, volunteer, or a local clergy, these calls continue to be a great source of reflection and encouragement on a weekly basis.
Because we know the importance of keeping a healthy mind, body and spirit, YMCA staff and volunteers reached out to members of our community to stay connected and to provide a listening ear during these uncertain times.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
As a non-profit, community-based organization, the YMCA relies on the support of its members and generous supporters to provide services and financial assistance for children, adults and families living in our community. This pandemic will no doubt have a financial impact on many in our community, and the Y is no exception.
As our communities begin to reopen, the Y will once again assume its place as a welcoming center, providing residents of all ages with an opportunity to regain a sense of safety and connectedness. But, as a result of our COVID-19-related closure, the Y will need your financial support to ensure that our mission can continue to thrive in communities throughout Will and Grundy Counties.
You can make a difference in the lives of people living in our community, your friends and neighbors, by making a charitable gift to the Greater Joliet Area YMCA’s Mission Strong Fund to support one of these three areas:
CARING FOR OUR
- Providing much-needed financial assistance for children, families and seniors who are experiencing hardship due to COVID-19.
- Feeding our neighbors by hosting monthly mobile food pantries at our YMCA locations during closure and continuing to provide healthy meals to children in our care.
- Implementing facility enhancements and new safety and social distancing guidelines at our YMCA locations.
CARING FOR OUR
- Providing much-needed financial assistance for camp and before and after school families who are experiencing hardships due to COVID-19.
- Adapting our youth programs to incorporate lower staff-to-child ratios to meet social distancing guidelines.
- Implementing new safety guidelines in our childcare and youth enrichment programs.
CARING FOR OUR
- Providing support for YMCA staff who are experiencing financial hardships due to COVID-19.
- Purchasing personal protective equipment for YMCA staff.
- Establishing staff trainings to meet new safety and social distancing guidelines.
WE ARE STRONGER TOGETHER
Your charitable gift to the Greater Joliet Area YMCA’s Mission Strong Fund will help to ensure the long-term sustainability of our YMCA.