A Healthy Recipe from Our Partners at Morris Hospital and Healthcare Centers
Veggie-Loaded Sloppy Joes
Yield: 6 servings (serving size is ¾ cup of meat + 1 sandwich bun)
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 6 whole-grain or mixed-grain sandwich buns
- 1 sweet onion, thinly or thickly sliced (optional)
- Spray a medium skillet with the cooking spray.
- Combine the ground beef, diced peppers and onion in the skillet. Cook on medium heat until the beef is thoroughly cooked, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Mix the vinegar, ketchup and mustard together, and add to the beef mixture; simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
- Scoop one portion onto each sandwich bun. Top with a slice of sweet onion (optional).
Beef is a good source of iron, and the vitamin C in peppers (and tomato products) enhances absorption of iron.
Calories: 270; Total fat: 6g; Saturated fat: 2g; Cholesterol 47mg; Sodium: 650mg; Total carbohydrate: 33g: Dietary fiber: 2g; Protein: 21g