A Healthy Recipe from Our Partners at Morris Hospital and Healthcare Centers
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
Step One: Saute
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion (diced)
- 1 red bell pepper (seeds and stem removed and diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (finely diced, or 3/4 tsp garlic powder)
Add oil to a large pot, or Dutch oven, over medium-high heat. Then add everything else and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often.
Step Two: Add Other Ingredients and Simmer
- 1 sweet potato (peeled if desired and diced into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (low sodium)
- 2 cups frozen corn (or fresh, cut off the cob)
- 2/3 cup quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Add to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15-20 minutes. (You want the sweet potato to be tender and the quinoa will be cooked after 15-20 minutes).
If you have an immersion blender, blend half of the soup. (You want the chowder to be creamy but still have a chunky texture which is why you only want to blend half of it). If you don’t have an immersion blender, add half of the soup to a food processor or blender, blend it, and then add it back to the pot.
Step Three: Serve and Enjoy
NUTRITION INFORMATION FOR ONE SERVING
Calories: 175, Fat: 4 g, Saturated Fat: 0.5 g, Total Carbohydrate: 32 g, Fiber: 4 g, Sugars: 5 g, Protein: 5 g, Sodium: 240 mg