The Fourth of July is filled with family, fireworks and good food. But, it’s also a holiday when safety is a priority, especially when it comes to fireworks.
Our partners at Morris Hospital and Healthcare Centers, along with Dr. Charlotte Albinson, the Hospital’s medical director of immediate care and occupational medicine, offer this excellent advice to help keep your family safe during your patriotic festivities.
One of the best solutions to keeping your family safe is to simply join friends and family to watch your town’s firework display. Professional fireworks are spectacular and they help to keep your family out of harm’s way, unlike setting off your own firework show at home.
Sparklers, which many people consider to be the most ‘innocent’ of fireworks, are more dangerous than you think. According to Dr. Albinson, sparklers can reach temperatures of 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit. At those high temperatures, sparklers can burn the skin and articles of clothing can catch on fire. Even in the safest hands, fireworks can be hazardous and unpredictable. Hands and fingers are the areas of the body that are most commonly injured by fireworks, followed by the head, face, legs and eyes.
If you and your family decide to celebrate the holiday at home, be sure to never light fireworks in your hand. And, only use them away from other people, houses and flammable material.
Dr. Albinson recommends sitting back and enjoying a public firework show put on by qualified pyro-technicians.
“Instead of lighting fireworks at your home,” she said. “leave it to the professionals.”