Holiday celebrations sometimes lack a healthy dish with fruits and vegetables. This one has a little of both! Featuring cranberries, jalapenos and pomegranate seeds, this appetizing recipe would make a great starter at any celebration.
Pomegranate and cranberry relish
- 1 pound fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3/4 cup sugar 1 jalapeño pepper (or serrano pepper)
- 1/2 roughly chopped basil leaves
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds (reserve a few to garnish)
- 1 thin baguette, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Black pepper
- 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese, softened
- Place the cranberries, sugar and jalapeño peppers in a food processor. Pulse on and off several times until cranberries are coarsely chopped. Add basil and pulse a few more times.
- Transfer to a storage container and add pomegranate seeds.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- For the crostini, preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Place baguette slices on prepared pans. Brush lightly with oil and sprinkle lightly with black pepper
- Bake for 14-18 minutes or until golden, rotating pans halfway through baking time.
- To assemble bruschetta, whisk cream cheese until creamy and lightly spread about half a tablespoon on each crostini.
- Top with a scoop of the relish.
“Healthy at Home” is a series of healthy recipes curated by Morris Hospital Clinical Dietitian Liz Fischer.