Packed with nutrients, this chicken dish is great for any day of the week!
Chicken and Vegetables
- 4 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 peppers (one yellow, one orange, one red)
- 1 large onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Feta cheese
- Fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup pitted Kalamata olives, drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2-3 lemons, juiced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8th teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Combine 1/4 cup lemon juice, 3 Tbsp. olive oil, 1 tsp. marjoram, 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper and minced garlic in a bowl. Whisk for one minute.
- Pound chicken breasts to an even thickness between two sheets of wax paper.
- Place chicken breasts in a plastic bag or sealable container and pour the marinade over the chicken. Let chicken marinate for at least 6 hours in the refrigerator. Never marinate on the counter.
- Wash and slice the peppers and onions into half inch strips. Add olive oil to a large sauté pan. Pour in cut onions and peppers.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 marjoram. Sauté on medium heat until onions caramelize and peppers brown slightly, stirring often. Set aside.
- Add olive oil to sauté pan. Brown marinated chicken.
- Spread onion and pepper mixture onto a large, lightly greased roasting pan. Top mixture with 1/3 cup black olives, drained.
- Place each chicken breast on top of pepper & onion mixture in the roasting pan, leaving space between each breast.
- Drizzle contents of the entire pan with 1 Tbsp. olive oil and 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice.
- Place pan into a preheated, 400°F oven covered tightly with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Use a food thermometer to make sure chicken is 165°F.
- Remove and sprinkle with feta cheese and chopped fresh parsley before serving. Serve over whole wheat pasta, brown rice or whole wheat couscous.
“Healthy at Home” is a series of healthy recipes curated by Morris Hospital Clinical Dietitian Liz Fischer.