A Healthy Recipe from Our Partners at Morris Hospital and Healthcare Centers
Last week, staff from Morris Hospital’s Nutrition team visited the Morris Community YMCA and shared a healthy recipe and samples with members. If you missed the opportunity to try this delicious breakfast bar, be sure to check out this easy-to-follow recipe to try at home!
Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Bar
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 8 bars
- 2 1/2 cup oats, dry
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 medium apple
- 1/2 cup coconut flake
- Grease an 8×8-inch baking dish. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place 1 cup of oats in a blender or food processor and process until the oats turn to a flour-like
consistency. Add to a mixing bowl with an additional 1 1/2 cups of oats, cinnamon, baking
powder, and salt. Stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the egg, applesauce, vanilla, milk and honey. Pour into
dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Finely dice an apple and add to batter with coconut flakes. Fold into mixture. Pour into
a baking dish and bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly; cut into bars and serve.