FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Health and Wellness Director Revision Date: 6/9/17
Provide individual and small group personal fitness training and diet consultation. Teach individuals proper use of equipment including free weights, cardio, and strength equipment.
Must be physically fit and trained by YMCA Health and Wellness Director or certified as a personal trainer by an accredited personal trainer / fitness program. Promote the goals and objectives of the YMCA and any additional requirements to ensure the success of the program.
- Monitor the fitness room as fitness members use the exercise equipment. Teach and train proper usage as needed.
- Motivate and educate fitness members in leading healthy lifestyles.
- Builds effective, authentic relationships with members and staff; helps them connect with each other and the YMCA by answering questions related to the fitness area.
- Follows all YMCA policies, rules, regulations and procedures, including emergency and safety procedures. Completes incident and accident reports as necessary.
- Take professional initiative to promote personal training, clinics and all wellness related opportunities.
YMCA LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES (LEADER):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire toserve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the otherperson’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understandingand meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- High School Degree or equivalent.
- Current Personal Trainer Certification Preferred
- CPR, First Aid, AED certifications, Child Abuse prevention training, Sexual Harrassment, Active Threat training within 30 days of hire date.
- Complete New Staff Orientation.
- Ability to work fluctuating shifts which include weekday evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Ability to walk, stand and sit for long periods of time.
- Be able to lift and carry items weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to work in various temperatures with various noise levels.
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act in case of emergencies.