FLSA Status: Non-exempt, Seasonal
Reports to: Kid Zone Plus Director Revision Date: 8/10/20
Responsible for the safety and security of all children under your supervision. Responsible for providing leadership for Kid Zone Plus youth programs for children 5-12 years of age. Position includes developing daily enrichment group activities and ensuring that curbside drop off and pick up procedures are followed. Collect and/or distribute any YMCA materials to program participants and parents. Ensure that assigned site location(s) maintain adequate program supplies including cleaning, first aid materials and snacks. Provide strong supervision and leadership to staff counselors and site coordinators at sites. Verify all cleaning and disinfecting procedures are being followed by staff. Responsible for following all YMCA policies and procedures, including the recommended COVID-19 guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and prevention (CDC) and local, state and federal health officials. Provides a quality experience to children and parents focused on YMCA core values: caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility.
- Responsible for assisting Kid Zone PLUS Director with on-boarding newKid Zone PLUS team members. Training duties include, but are not limited to, reviewing staff manual, completing the onboarding checklist, and conducting ongoing field training.
- Conducts audits on a weekly basis.
- Provides regular, constructive feedback for before and after school counselors and lead site coordinators.
- Assists and directs staff through program participant disciplinary issues.
- Provides role modeling opportunities for current before and after school staff.
- Communicates regularly with Kid Zone PLUS Director regarding any staff/child issues that should be addressed and resolved.
- Work with lead site coordinators to ensure the Kid Zone PLUS Director is informed of any staff/child issues that should be addressed and resolved.
- Works with lead site coordinators to ensure before and after school sites maintain an adequate amount of program supplies, including cleaning, first aid materials and snacks.
- Assists Kid Zone PLUS Director to ensure all sites are in compliance with community partner audits and requirements such as DCFS and NIFB.
- Works with Kid Zone Plus Director to deliver training opportunities/resources at sites, at in-services, and at staff meetings.
- Guides and provides support to child care staff during parent conversations.
- Provide coverage for absent Kid Zone Plus counselors when required.
- Ensures that staff maintain a structured learning environment for all students during scheduled remote learning times and enrichment activities.
- Ensure crafts, activities, and curriculum is executed.
- When applicable, ensure all incident reports, reportable condition, and parent communication forms are filled out accurately and submitted to Director in a timely manner.
- Know and adhere to all school policies and guidelines, and be respectful of shared space between the school and program.
- Ensure that all staff and students are practicing social distancing and wearing a mask or face covering while participating in the program.
- May be responsible for COVID-19 related curbside pick up and drop off procedures, including but not limited to:
a. Upon drop-off ensure masks are worn, conduct temperature checks on all students, and ask parents the required health screening questions.
b. Upon pick-up ensure masks are worn and confirm authorized person is able to pickup student(s) by verifying their photo ID.
- Responsible for cleaning/disinfecting all high touch areas on an hourly basis, completing any required cleaning logs and submitting to Director in a timely manner.
- Attend all staff meetings and trainings.
- Accepts other duties as deemed appropriate within scope of position.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm inchallenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- High school graduate or equivalent; one year or more of college preferred.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Previous experience, 1-3 years, working with children preferably in a before/after care setting.
- CPR, First Aid, AED and epi-pen certifications and Child Abuse Prevention training required before employment.
- Previous experience with diverse populations preferred.
- Willing to obtain licensing requirements as needed.
- Ability to work long hours with positive attitude.
Ability to plan, lead and participate in a range of activities in a variety of outdoor/indoor settings.