FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Health and Wellness Director
Revision Date: 02/04/14
Instructs group classes in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that promotes member wellness and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
- Leads energizing, fun, safe, and educational group classes, as directed by the supervisor, to accomplish the YMCA mission and goals. Classes can include, but are not limited to Aerobics, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, etc.
- Answers questions from members to support them in achieving their goals related to healthy living. Maintains working knowledge of wellness and trends to provide effective information and support to members.
- Builds effective, authentic relationships with members; helps members connect with each other and the YMCA and provide feedback when necessary.
- Keeps accurate class attendance records.
- Responsible for the set-up and break down of equipment as needed.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures; responds to emergency situations.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, andperceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’spoint of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness
to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Required certifications: CPR, First Aid, AED, national certification (ACE, NETA, AFAA, NASM) in group fitness instruction or YMCA Foundations of Group Exercise certification. In addition, online trainings including, but not limited to, Child Abuse Prevention, Blood Borne Pathogens and Sexual Harassment.
- Certification in areas of expertise.
- At least one year of experience teaching group wellness classes preferred.
- Ability to conduct classes and activities.
- Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position; including leading class, walking, standing, bending, reaching, and lifting.