FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Lead Site Swim Coach
Revision Date: 1/13/15
Assist the Lead Site Swim Coach in the administration and operation of the YMCA youth competitive swim team year round program. Provide technical instruction necessary to improve competitive swimming skill.
- Assists in instruction of swim team in accordance with YMCA guidelines, having prepared daily practice plans for all groups on site, or delegates that responsibility to assistant coaches on site.
- Serve as lifeguard on deck when teaching/coaching and provide emergency services when necessary.
- Builds effective, authentic relationships with students and parents; helps them connect with each other and the YMCA. Encourages parent involvement and identifies potential volunteers.
- Conveys information on aquatics programs and schedules and as appropriate refers students and parents to other programs.
- Maintains records as required (i.e. attendance, progress reports, etc.).
- Attends staff meetings and trainings as scheduled.
- Follows all YMCA policies, rules, regulations and procedures, including emergency and safety procedures. Completes incident and accident reports as necessary.
- Organizes and puts away needed class equipment. Reports damaged equipment.
- Trains and supervises class aides as assigned.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’spoint of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Certifications: CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid certification.
- Must be able to demonstrate swim instructor skills in accordance with YMCA standards.
- At least 18 years of age.
Ability to instruct and observe participants in proper stroke techniques.
Ability to lift equipment, and to lift a small to average size child.