FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Aquatics Director
Revision Date: 12/1/15
Provides direct leadership, instruction and motivation for students in swimming classes.
- Instructs swimming technical skills necessary to learn swimming skills in accordance with YMCA guidelines, having prepared lesson plans accordingly.
- Builds effective, authentic relationships with students and parents; helps them connect with each other and the YMCA. Encourages parent involvement and identifies potential volunteers.
- Conveys information on aquatics programs and schedules and as appropriate refers members to other programs.
- Maintains records as required (i.e. attendance, progress reports, etc.).
- Attends staff meetings and trainings as scheduled.
- Follows all YMCA policies, rules, regulations and procedures, including emergency and safety procedures. Completes incident and accident reports as necessary.
- Organizes and puts away needed class equipment. Reports damaged equipment.
- Trains and supervises class aides as assigned.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (LEADER):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.-
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’spoint of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations andhow they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Minimum age 18 years old.
- Certifications: CPR / AED / First Aid / Lifeguarding.
- Must be instructor trained by YMCA Aquatics Director or Y USA Red Cross Certified as Swim Instructor.
- Ability to maintain certification-level of physical and mental readiness.
- Must demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with YMCA standards.
- Hear noises and distress signals in the aquatic environment, including in the water and anywhere around the zone of responsibility. Remain alert with no lapses of consciousness.
- Meet strength and lifting requirements.
- See and observe all sections of an assigned zone or area of responsibility.