Practice. Perform. Perfect.
THRIVE, A YMCA Dance Team
THRIVE is a community dance team based at the C.W. Avery Family YMCA in Plainfield. As a part of THRIVE, dancers of all ages get the opportunity to:
- Learn and develop skills across various dance styles, including ballet, jazz, tap and contemporary, among others.
- Receive guidance from dance instructors who embrace the YMCA core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility.
- Perform at local events, community expos and the THRIVE Showcase.
- Compete in local dance competitions as a part of the THRIVE’s award-winning competition team.
We do more than just dance. We learn. We grow. We THRIVE.
THRIVE dance season is held year round. The THRIVE Showcase and Summer Recital are held in June and August respectively. Auditions are also held in August. New dancers may audition for one of the four performance dance level groups: Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum. Experienced dancers are invited to audition for THRIVE’s competitive dance levels: Elite and Diamond Elite. More information can be found in the THRIVE Dance Team Manual below.
2018 Auditions: August 24-25
Friday, August 24 • 5:30-7 p.m.
- For experienced dancers who would like to audition for competition levels. Solo choreography will be the focus.
- Dancers will be required to present a 60-second solo in a dance style of their preference.
Saturday, August 25 • 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
- For dancers of all ages and skill levels.
- Participants will learn a short choreographed piece and present what they learned in a group setting.
- Competition dancers will present more advanced choreography.
- All participants make the team and will be placed in levels based on their ability.
Free and open to all. Registration is required. A YMCA Membership is not required to audition but is required for THRIVE dancers.
Private Dance Lessons
Dancers of all levels are invited to request private lessons with a YMCA dance instructor. In a one-on-one or small group setting, an instructor will identify the needs of each participant and subsequently help them improve their technique and dance styles, including but not limited to ballet, tap and contemporary dance.
The Y offers a variety of dance programs year-round for beginners and advanced performers. Current offerings include:
- Ballet and Pre-Ballet
- Tiny Dancers (Ages 2-3)
- Dance Beginnings (Ages 3-5)