FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Aquatic Director
Revision Date: 8/23/2019
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Swim Instructor at the Greater Joliet Area YMCA maintains a supportive, positive atmosphere that welcomes and respects all individuals and provides direct leadership, instruction and motivation for students in swim classes.
- Instructs swimming lessons in accordance with YMCA guidelines, having prepared lesson plans accordingly, and supports members and program participants in achieving their goals.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with volunteers, members or program participants, and colleagues at all levels of the organization; helps participants and families connect with each other and the YMCA; and encourages parent or caregiver involvement.
- Conveys information on aquatics programs and schedules and as appropriate refers program participants and families to other programs.
- Maintains records as required (e.g., attendance, progress reports).
- Follows all YMCA policies, rules, regulations and procedures, including emergency and safety procedures. Completes incident and accident reports as necessary.
- Organizes and puts away needed class equipment. Reports damaged equipment.
- Participate in aquatic staff in-services, meetings, and trainings as designated by the aquatics director.
- All other duties as assigned.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Buildsrapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm inchallenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills.
1. CPR, First Aid and AED, Child Abuse Prevention, and Blood Bourne Pathogen certifications required.
2. Must be able to demonstrate swim instructor skills in accordance with YMCA standards.
3. At least 16 years of age.